The ability your body has to heal itself is immense. 80% of what you look like is what you eat… Exercise and hydration are the other 20% 💪🏼
I am not diminishing the benefits of proper exercise, in fact, exercise boosts your metabolism, reduces inflammation, depression, diabetes and heart disease, even dementia which is becoming a pandemic these days! However, if you are eating a bad diet, exercise is simply just not enough: “You cannot exercise your way out of a bad diet”
Plus, exercise by itself does not lead to weight loss!! You could also be of normal weight and exercise and still be unhealthy (TOFI-thin on the outside, fat in the inside) because of a poor diet.
Exercise is one step forward, but a bad diet is two steps backwards! ⛔️ Your diet can heal you or kill you!
The foods you eat not only affect you physically but also impact your mental health. A healthy diet can help balance your hormones and energy levels and repair metabolic disease; those foods are broken down to rebuild your cells: You are what you eat!
Metabolic Health should not be looked at as an eating plan, but rather freedom from disease, hormonal imbalances, and from over-the-counter (OTC) NSAIDs, antibiotics, H2 blockers, PPI’s and other harmful pharmaceutical medications.
NUTRITION, NUTRITION, NUTRITION! Animal Protein, Fats such as ghee, avocado and olive oil, and lots of low glycemic Carbohydrates and Fiber (vegetables) 🥩🥚🫒🥑🍠🫐 🥦 🥬 🎣 can help reverse cardiovascular disease and mitochondria dysfunction through production of ATP. Whether you do keto, carnivore or low-carb, please eliminate vegetable and seed oils from your diet! Your body, heart and brain will thank you for it!
The right nutrition is not about counting macros or starving yourself. It’s feeding your system what it needs. Each of us is different; that being said, the foods that work for me may not work for you the same. Therefore, I utilize a Functional Medicine Personalized Wellness and Nutrition plans tailored for each individual client. Yet, a common complaint among all my female clients is that they are not able to build or retain muscle. There are two things I immediately suggest they do in these cases, 1) start eating animal protein, and 2) start weightlifting!
One Caveat; I DON’T work with vegetarians or vegans. Personally, the theory and methodology for healing I use in my practice limits my ability to help you repair from disease and recover if you are a vegetarian or vegan, even if exercise all the time.
Another issue clients report when in poor metabolic health is Exercise Intolerance.
What? There is such a thing? Have you ever felt like absolute “crap” for 2-4 days after a high intensity workout? Then you may be experiencing exercise intolerance.
You are not lazy, every time you raise your heart rate you make Nitric Oxide (NO), you may not have enough Nitric Oxide (NO), or NO may not be released to your endothelium cells for use as ATP (energy) shotting down your system (hypoxia) and starts producing Super Oxide (oxidative stress) instead in order to protect itself.
Do you have Hypertension? You can train your endothelium cells so your arteries can receive the Nitric Oxide to repair your mitochondria, and also get the blood flow/oxygen to the brain to prevent dementia. 🧠
The proper Nutrition- Nutrigenomics and supplements can support NO production and aid in prevention of CVD, hypertension, hypoxia, erectile dysfunction, and exercise intolerance as well as helping correct the several implications around NOS3 genetic mutations related to the adequate release of Nitric Oxide to the tissue/cell for proper function!
Daily exercise is important, don’t take me wrong when I talk about the Oxidative Street, this is only induced by high intensity interval training (HIIT), which can create havoc in your nervous system when already dealing with too much inflammation and other stress. Just moving your body by walking will help your Nitric Oxide distribution to the cell. You must procure reducing your inflammation prior to jumping into high intensity training… SOD (Super Oxide Dismutase) is helpful in reducing inflammation, but again, too much of it will shot your system down in its own protection!
Slow and consistent workouts and proper nutrition can train your sympathetic nervous system to decrease inflammation and relax to regulate vasodilation.
There are also a few supplements to help with Nitric Oxide production and vasodilation: PQQ, Arginine, CoQ10, Creatine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine.
*You can find these supplements in my Fullscript dispensary you can access through the home and services pages on my website.
In health and wholeness,